Studio SW has been privileged to work on renovations and additions at the historic Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian since the late 90s. Our design team has worked diligently on each project to maintain the integrity of the original historic building while providing expanded facilities and handicap accessibility.
In 1999, a research and collections facility was developed on the 8.37 acre site and a 6,500 sf building addition and interior renovation was completed. The scope of this work included conditioned archival storage/research space, electronic imaging to create a digital database, cultural research programs, visitor center and outdoor events plaza.
In 2004, an extensive renovation of the original 1939 building was completed. This included re-stuccoing the exterior, a complete re-wiring of the electrical systems, and new lighting throughout.
In 2014, Studio SW completed a 8,800 sf addition and extensive landscape and parking lot improvements. The addition includes a new permanent gallery to display and tell the history of Native American jewelry making in the Southwest. Also, an expansion to the Case Trading Post (museum store), curatorial space, and staff break room and meeting room are components of the addition.