Studio Southwest Architects provided services for the complete renovation of the historic Hiland Theater on Route 66 for the National Dance Institute of New Mexico. Originally opened in 1950, it closed as a movie theater in the summer of 1995 and exchanged hands many times until the County of Bernalillo and the National Dance Institute of New Mexico took control of the property in 2011. This already prominent icon in the area became an anchor for energy and revitalization for the surrounding neighborhoods.
This project includes professional grade sprung dance floors integrated into new slabs in the studios and colorful and durable finishes that reflect the energy of the children. The historic lobby has been renovated and modernized and the old movie theater has been adapted for live performances. The south elevation has been given an entirely new look and is the main entrance for daily activity. The student entrance is at the east end and the administration entrance is on the west.
Studio Southwest Architects was able to save several historic elements of the building, including the sign, the terrazzo flooring in the lobby, and the entire front façade.